Google TV – Is Your Website Optimised To Be Viewed On A TV
Users browsing the Internet with their TV seems like it might be the next big other other than mobile Internet.Â Google TV is now here and Microsoft will be coming out with their version soon. Apple is re-launching their AppleTV product.
But is your website optimised to be viewed on the TV? There are many sizes of TVs from large 10 foot screens to 32 inch screens. Users are not sitting half a metre from their TV. They are often sitting 3 or 4 metres away from the TV.
What Is Google TV?
The other issue is navigation. Users do not usually use a mouse with their TV. Instead, they are given a remote control.
Any web designer will tell you all about the issues of resolution on different sized screens and browser compatibility. Add all the different mobile devices and how they render the website when it loads up. Then add TV resolution into the equation and you have all sorts of resolution / browser compatibility issues. Many large websites have mobile versions of their websites. Maybe a TV version of the website will be necessary in the future.
Google the window size for TV resolution is 1920 x 1080. Also think about the size of the text on the website. Is it large enough to read from the couch?
Google TV Checklist
I’ve found two guides that Google has released that any developer for TV needs to look at –
Google TV Demos
Want to see Google TV working and the interface it uses? Here are a couple of sample sites that have already been created for Google TV –
- CNN – Get the best of CNN video including top stories, TV clips and iReports.
- Tune In – Browse and listen to radio â€“ live, local and global. From RadioTime
- CHOW – CHOW is the coolest place for food on the web. Play video. Make food. Enjoy
- USA Today – News, scores, weather and stocks from USA TODAY â€“ updated 24/7 â€“ on your TV
- Flixster – Discover movies with trailers, RottenTomatoes reviews and more
- Cartoon Network – Cartoon Network is multiplatform environment offering a wide range of youth-targeted entertainment
- PBS Kids – Watch videos of PBS KIDS shows like Curious George and Dinosaur Train!
- NET-A-PORTER – The NET-A-PORTER fashion station. Watch it! Shop it! The latest straight from the runway.
- Meegenius – Read beautifully illustrated books enhanced with audio playback and word highlighting!
- Clicker – The premier Internet TV guide. Search, save & watch TV shows, movies & Web series
- Sidereel – The SideReel Living Room makes the web your DVR. Watch all your shows anytime.
- Dailymotion – See, share and engage your world through the power of video on Dailymotion
- KQED – Public Media serving Northern California. News, food, arts, science and PBS
- Adult Swim – Adult Swim showcases quality comedy programming with an adult sensibility
- New York Times – Daily videos from The New York Times, from world news to style and celebrity
- CNET – See the hottest tech news and product videos from CNET optimized for your TV
- Crackle – Free, Uncut Movies and TV: Action, Comedy, Thriller, Sci-Fi, Horror and Crime
- blip.tv – Broadcasting the best original shows of the Web
- VEVO – VEVO brings the highest quality music videos directly to your TV
- The Onion – Onion News Network covers the important stories lesser outlets fail to report
- YouTube Leanback – Watch videos on YouTube as effortlessly as watching TV
- HBO GO – With HBO GO, HBO subscribers can enjoy online access to their favorite HBO shows
Introducing Google TV
I have posted this video previously but I think it is worth posting it again incase you may have missed it.