Is your site ready for the Christmas Season?
Is your website ready for the holiday traffic?
Deloitte’s annual holiday survey of consumer spending intentions found that 48% of consumers will shop online for gifts this year. This means that Internet is now tied in first place as a favourite Christmas shopping destination, along with discount stores.
If you haven’t already, now is the time to prepare your online store or website to get the most out of the 2011 Holiday season. So what can you do? Well, the key to maximising the value your business can get our of the online shopping rush over the holidays is to offer the solutions they are after. So, why do people prefer to shop online?
- Convenience – They don’t have to fight the crowds, find parking, carry heavy bags, spend lots of time queuing etc. How you can provide value: Make sure you remind the customers on your site that by shopping from you they can avoid the chaos of Christmas shopping.
- They want to get the good deals and save money. How you can provide value: offer special sales or freebies with your sales, or offer bulk buying discounts
- They are looking for gift ideas and suggestions – many people browse the internet looking for ideas on what to buy. How you can provide value: Create a gift guide on you site, listing all the items you sell and who the gift could be for. Make this guide downloadable as well, and don’t forget to brand it! You can also set up whish lists on your site where people can log in and save their wish list and send it to others.
- They want to buy something that is hard to find in Australia or in normal shops, or something that is unique How you can provide value: if you stock an item that is hard to find, make sure you tell people about it. Talk about how your products are unique and share stories from the product users.
- They want to be able to easily ship the gift straight to family or friends that live in different locations. How you can provide value: remind your customers how easy it is to shop from you, they don’t have to worry about gift wrapping or the logistics of sending the gift themselves. You could also offer free gift wrapping and a free Christmas card with a personal greeting for all of your Chrismas gift orders.
- They want to save time. How you can provide value:Tell them again about the great benefits of shopping from you online, and how this will save them a lot of time.
You should also do some research into what keywords people use to search for Christmas gifts in your industry and make sure your site ranks high on those keywords.