.com celebrates 25th birthday
Today, there are over 80 million domain names with the system serving as a platform for $400 billion US dollars in econmic activity. The Internet today generates more than $1.5 trillion US dollars per year.
People often question how we found out information before the Internet. Remember when you
- had to go to the travel agent to make any travel plans
- selling your old things in the garage was done using a garage sale – not eBay
- you got the phone book out to call anyone
- price comparisons were done by visiting a number of shops
- product reviews were done by asking questions
- receipe books or pieces of paper were used when making a dinner
- an overseas phone call was kept short because it was too expensive
- correspondence between businesses took days – no emails
- faxes were used all the time for businesses
- videos were rented from the video store
- short videos was only seen on the funniest home video show – not youtube
We’ve come a long way in 15 years. What will the next 15 years bring us?